An Industry Breakthrough: Safe, Scalable, Low-Cost Pre-lithiation
A safe process not using lithium metal
Pre-lithiation has always been desired, but previous approaches using lithium metal could not be commercialized due to safety and cost issues.
Safe salt: Electrochemical process uses a safe, stable lithium salt instead of metal
Safer manufacturing: No lithium metal is used, eliminating a key fire risk
Safer cells: No lithium metal is in cells, eliminating tendency to form dendrites
A scalable process that operates roll-to-roll
Nanoscale has proven its roll-to-roll process to pilot manufacturing scale, and is now gearing up to support mass production
An inherently low-cost process
- Low-cost salt is much less expensive than metal
- Our process uses a non-flammable solvent
- Our self-contained pre-lithiation equipment doesn’t need dry room space
- Pre-lithiated cells are less expensive/Wh than conventional cells as the energy increase is greater than the process cost
- Cell Balance Model with pre-lithiation dosage and capacity gain
- Cost Model for that pre-lithiation dosage
A compatible process
- Pre-lithiation can be added easily. All your existing anode and cathode coating equipment are unchanged.
- Just pre-lithiate coated and calendered anode electrodes, and then assemble cells under normal dry room conditions.